Meet our staff
Patricia A. Trimmer
Associate Director, Basic Research
Kontos Medical Sciences Building, Room 229
1217 East Marshall Street
Richmond, Virginia 23298
“The Parkinson’s and Movement Disorders Center provides me, a basic neuroscientist, with a unique opportunity to translate discoveries made at the bench into potential therapies. Few basic scientists have such a unique opportunity to make a difference in the lives of patients.”
- Ph.D. in Anatomy, University of Maryland at Baltimore
- B.A. in Biology, Gettysburg College
- Parkinson’s and other neurodegenerative diseases
- Alzheimer’s and Related Diseases Research Award Foundation, Awards Committee member
- Alzheimer’s Association, peer reviewer
- Public Education and Communication Committee, Society for Neuroscience, member
- ETTN C-11 SBIR study section, member
- Society for Neuroscience
- American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Cronin-Furman EN, Borland MK, Bergquist KE, Bennett JP Jr, Trimmer PA (2013) Mitochondrial quality, dynamics and functional capacity in Parkinson's disease cybrid cell lines selected for Lewy body expression. Mol Neurodegener. Jan 26;8:6. doi: 10.1186/1750-1326-8-6.
- Borland, M.K., Mohanakumar, K.P., Rubinstein, J.D., Keeney, P.M., Xie, J., Capaldi, R., Dunham, L.D., Trimmer, P.A. and Bennett, J.P. 2009 Relationships among molecular genetic and respiratory properties of Parkinson’s disease cybrid cells show similarities to Parkinson’s brain tissues. Biochim Biophys Acta 1792:68-74.
- Trimmer, P.A., Schwartz, K.M., Borland, K.M., DeTaboada, L., Streeter, J. and Oron, U. 2009. Reduced axonal transport in Parkinson’s disease is restored by light therapy. Mol Neurodegener. June 17, 4: 26.
- Keeney, P.M., Quigley, C.K., Dunham, L.D., Papageorge, C. M., Iyer, S., Thomas, R.R., Schwartz, K.M., Trimmer, P.A., Bergquist, K.E. and Bennett, Jr,. J. P. 2009 Mitochondrial gene therapy augments mitochondrial physiology in a Parkinson’s disease cell model. Gene Therapy. April 19.
- Trimmer, P.A. and Bennett, J.P., Jr. Invited Review. 2009. The cybrid model of Sporadic Parkinson’s disease. Exp Neurol. 218:320-325.